My current obsession is herringbone. I am so in love with it. After seeing some amazing pins on Pinterest, I decided to give it a try to create some unique canvas art myself. My canvas was inspired by this, this, and this.
-Darice Artists Canvas 12x16 inch two pack (I got mine here)
-various paints of your choice
My colors used:
-Americana Pistachio Mint
-Craft Smart Vanilla
-Americana Indian Turquoise
-Americana Ultra Blue Deep
-Americana Bluegrass Green
-Martha Stewart Metallic in Sterling and Pewter
I started off with the two canvases side by side. My intention was to have them continue as one large canvas when side by side but work separately as well. I just started playing with colors. I'd put a blue blob here and smear it around, then green or white, etc until I liked the way it looked. Here is a picture of it in progress.
Here is how it looked when I was finished playing around. It had a nice abstract ocean vibe.
I always knew I wanted a silver on top. I decided to smear some silver on the canvas first. I decided on the Martha Stewart Metallic line color of Pewter.
But it just felt way too dark. So I switched to Sterling to cover it up.
Then I began cutting my painter's tape to make the herringbone pattern. I used a ruler so that the pieces would be pretty equivalent in size. I made my strips 4 inches long.
I cut a whole bunch for a stock pile. Then ended up repeating this amount twice to cover both canvases.
I tried to be all fancy by laying the tape out like so. I used a string to align the edges and tried to keep them all a pencil width apart.
It ended up working a little bit but I guess some of the tape was just slightly off and they started to get really close to over lapping. I decided to pull all of the tape off and start over.
I just put down my first piece and then eyeballed it from there.
I ended up pulling a few pieces off and readjusting as I went. The great thing about my painter's tape was that it didn't loose it's stickiness. Finally I wound up with this.
I covered the entire canvas (I also did the sides in case someone got a side view) in three or four coats of Sterling paint.
Then I just peeled them off. I needed to use tweezers to get some of the edges up. I'm thrilled with how it came out!
Here is a close up of the pattern. Putting the silver in the background really helped when I had some slight bleed through. They're not very noticeable.
I have them hanging in my dining section. The colors go great with my pops of teal.
I'm linking up here!
This post was kindly featured at: